Advertisement
 
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Amsterdam, NY ,

 

Advertisement

Lawsuit: Manager fired for doubting 9/11 memorial safety

Saturday, October 06, 2012 - Updated: 7:50 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- A former manager at the Sept. 11 memorial was fired for raising health and security concerns at one of the most security-conscious places in the world, he said in a lawsuit filed Friday.

As facilities director, Thomas Cancelliere alerted his bosses that the water in the memorial's signature fountains carried illness-causing bacteria, the exit gates were too narrow and could hinder an evacuation, and there were no security checks at a public parking garage directly below the off-site room where the memorial's millions of visitors are screened, the lawsuit said.

"Unfortunately, Mr. Cancelliere's concern for the safety of visitors was not shared by his supervisors," who told him the issues weren't his responsibility or were being addressed, even though they weren't, the lawsuit said.

The National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum had no immediate response to the suit. It seeks unspecified damages under the state whistle-blower-protection law.

Cancelliere, 67, was fired last month in what his bosses said was cost-cutting but he calls retaliation, according to the suit, filed in a Manhattan state court. No one else was axed at the time, it said.

The nonprofit memorial foundation spent about $28 million last year and is ramping up to lay out $60 million a year once an accompanying museum opens, including about $12 million a year on security.

Cancelliere is well versed in the security concerns that envelop the memorial site: He's a retired plant and facilities manager for the World Trade Center, where the memorial plaza now stands. He left the government agency that runs the trade center in 1996, held other jobs and then started in November 2010 as facilities chief for the privately run memorial, which has drawn more than 4.5 million visitors since its outdoor plaza opened in September 2011.

The next summer, he noted to his boss that no one was examining cars at the garage under the memorial's "welcome site," where its visitors go through security checks in a residential building down the block from the memorial itself, the lawsuit said. An elaborate "vehicle security center" is being built at the trade center site itself, where a truck bomb in an underground garage killed six people and injured nearly 1,000 in a 1993 terrorist attack.

His boss told him it wasn't his job to worry about security at the screening room garage, according to the lawsuit.

"Here he is, as the director of facilities, and has a right to be concerned about the issues" in the suit, said his lawyer, Douglas H. Wigdor.

This year, Cancelliere told his supervisor the fountains' disinfecting system wasn't built properly, and water tests had found the bacteria that cause Legionnaire's disease, Cancelliere's lawsuit said.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement
Subscribe to The Recorder

 

The Recorder Sports Schedule

Most Popular

    Area high school sports calendar
    Saturday, February 13, 2016

    Four face charges after fights at school
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016

    Concerns spark resignations
    Tuesday, February 09, 2016

    Officials express concern wage hike will hurt business
    Monday, February 08, 2016

    Donations lining up to help develop park in East End
    Monday, February 08, 2016

    Family begins endowment to help Make-A-Wish kids
    Monday, February 08, 2016

    GASD narrows superintendent field to three
    Friday, February 12, 2016

    Fonda, Fultonville face a deficit in the sewer budget
    Tuesday, February 09, 2016

    Council plans to sell some foreclosures separately
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016

    Gloversville man charged with murdering his wife
    Thursday, February 11, 2016

Advertisement

Copyright © McClary Media, Inc.

Privacy Policies: The Recorder

Contact Us

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook