Monday, October 24, 2016
Amsterdam, NY ,




Saturday, June 22, 2013 - Updated: 4:09 AM

Billboard won't count Jay-Z 1M downloads

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jay-Z's got 99 problems and the Billboard chart is one.

Billboard said Friday it will not include the 1 million album downloads Jay-Z is giving to Galaxy mobile phone users through a deal with Samsung. Jay-Z announced the partnership this week. His new album, "Magna Carta Holy Grail," will be released July 7, but it will go out to 1 million Samsung users on July 4.

In a letter posted on Billboard's website, editorial director Bill Werde says it won't count the downloads because Samsung ultimately isn't selling the album on its phones. He adds that it wasn't easy turning down Jay-Z's request to include the downloads on the Billboard chart.

"The passionate and articulate argument by Jay's team that something was for sale and Samsung bought it ... doesn't mesh with precedent," Werde writes.

A representative for Jay-Z didn't immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

Stones, BBC reportedly near Glastonbury deal

LONDON (AP) -- Rolling Stones fans know you can't always get what you want. But they may get what they need, with agreement reportedly near between the band and the BBC over televising part of the Stones' Glastonbury Festival show.

Festival organizer Michael Eavis says the BBC will air about an hour of the Stones' set as part of its extensive TV coverage of the event.

The BBC and the band both said negotiations were continuing, with the BBC on Friday calling the talks "extremely constructive."

The Stones are scheduled to headline Glastonbury's biggest stage on June 29, the festival's most prestigious slot.

About 135,000 music fans are due at the June 26-30 festival in southwest England. The lineup includes Arctic Monkeys, Elvis Costello, Kenny Rogers and Mumford & Sons.

Jennifer Lopez tears up over Hollywood star

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- "Jenny from the Block" has a spot on the most famous block of all -- the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Jennifer Lopez received the 2,500th star Thursday surrounded by her boyfriend Casper Smart, her 5-year-old twins Max and Emme, and friends including Jane Fonda, Keenen Ivory Wayans and "Selena" director Gregory Nava.

"I cried like almost 15 thousand times," she said afterward. "It was so crazy. But I kept promising everybody I wasn't going to cry and they were like, 'Cry!' 'You're not helping!' But it was an amazing moment."

Lopez relished the chance to "kind of walk down memory lane" with Wayans -- "he's the reason I moved to Los Angeles because I got that job as a fly girl" -- and Nava, who put her in her first movie.

"You realize you've been at this for a long time and you've been fighting and getting it," she said. "It's a real kind of landmark day for me and I am just glad my family was here to share it with me."

Paula Deen a no-show on Friday's 'Today' show

NEW YORK (AP) -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen was a no-show Friday at the "Today" show, where she was scheduled to appear to answer questions about past use of racial slurs.

"Today" host Matt Lauer told viewers he had spoken with Deen the day before to arrange what NBC had promoted as an exclusive, live appearance.

But shortly before the show went on the air Friday, Lauer said he was told by a Deen representative that she was pulling out.

Phone calls from The Associated Press to a representative for Deen weren't immediately returned.

While questioned last month in a discrimination lawsuit, the 66-year-old Food Network star admitted to having used racial slurs in the past, but insisted she and her family do not tolerate prejudice.


Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Subscribe to The Recorder


The Recorder Sports Schedule

Most Popular

    Area high school sports calendar
    Friday, October 21, 2016

    Arrests made in connection to welfare fraud
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016

    Police arrest suspect in armed NBT robbery
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016

    Kevin B. Cowles
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016

    City's foreclosure auction tops $1M in property sales
    Friday, October 21, 2016

    AFD battalion chief fondly remembered
    Saturday, October 22, 2016

    Siemens' reps propose $2.8M facilities improvement plan for Amsterdam
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016

    Broadalbin-Perth enters as state's No. 1 Class B team
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016

    Mead selected to replace Clayburn as county DPW head
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016

    Joseph Nichols
    Friday, October 21, 2016


Copyright © McClary Media, Inc.

Privacy Policies: The Recorder

Contact Us