Advertisement
 
Monday, March 30, 2015
Amsterdam, NY ,
Advertisement

Two taken to burn unit

Friday, December 27, 2013 - Updated: 9:33 AM

What started as an early Christmas morning project creating candles landed two young male victims in the SUNY Syracuse Burn Unit for treatment.

According to Detective Lt. Kurt Conroy, Amsterdam police responded to a report of a disturbance on Reid Street just before 7 a.m. Christmas morning. Two men, ages 19 and 21, were in the kitchen making candles with hot oil and boiling water, Conroy said.

A third person, Edwin Ortiz, 25, allegedly became angered with the victims and threw the hot oil and boiling water at them. Both victims are now suffering from severe burn injuries.

The 19-year-old victim was first transported to St. Mary's Healthcare, but upon his arrival, it was determined his treatment would be better received in the SUNY Syracuse Burn Unit. The 21-year-old victim was immediately transported to the burn unit.

Ortiz, of 28 Reid St., was arrested when police arrived Christmas morning and charged with two counts of second-degree assault, Class D felonies.

Ortiz was held in Amsterdam City Court for arraignment. The names of the victims were not provided by police.

-- Alissa Scott

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement
The Recorder Sports Schedule

 

The Recorder Newscast

Most Popular

    New York state Senate again backs legalization of mixed martial arts
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Ovechkin, Chimera lead Caps past Rangers
    Monday, March 30, 2015

    Sheriff's office investigating foreclosure company
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Michael T. Bintz
    Thursday, March 26, 2015

    Benefit scheduled Sunday For second time in five years, local family loses home to fire
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Local singer makes it to the next round
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015

    Amsterdam native's wife endorsed for Nevada Senate post
    Saturday, March 28, 2015

    Best friends in life playing best friends in a high school musical
    Thursday, March 26, 2015

    F-FCS athletes Board eyeing tougher rules
    Friday, March 27, 2015

    Man burned by vehicle fire
    Saturday, March 28, 2015

Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media

Privacy Policies: The Recorder

Contact Us

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook