Advertisement
 
Friday, September 19, 2014
Amsterdam, NY ,
Advertisement

Man homeless after blaze guts home

Friday, November 16, 2012 - Updated: 7:09 PM

By LINDA KELLETT

For the Recorder

ST. JOHNSVILLE -- A local musician whose home was ravaged by flames around 9:30 Wednesday night was able to escape the burning structure with a few of his treasured guitars, but there wasn't time to save anything else. He didn't even have a jacket.

That's according to an officer with the St. Johnsville Fire Department on Thursday -- the day after flames gutted the 35 Church St. home of guitarist Pat Clark, a member of Spike and the Boys.

"They're always playing benefits for someone else," said the official, who wished to remain anonymous. "We were happy to see [Clark] wasn't in the house. We're so thankful he was out."

The official said firefighters saved what they could of the small, one-family residence, "but there wasn't much."

Clark, who is staying with friends, had no insurance, the official said.

Also damaged during the blaze was an adjacent residence, which had some melting of siding, and Clark's vehicle, which was parked next to the building. The heat melted the vehicle's grill, "but I guess it still works," the official said.

While an exact cause of the blaze hasn't been determined, it's believed to be accidental in nature, starting in the area of a furnace, another fire official said.

Toni Brown, the owner of Curley's Video at 6 East Main St., has offered her shop as a drop-off place for clothing, furniture and other items for Clark. Items can be delivered to the store during business hours only: From 1 to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, or 1 to 8 p.m. on Sunday.

Collections will then be taken to the St. Johnsville Masonic Lodge.

A post on the St. Johnsville, New York Facebook page lists clothing sizes (men's shirts, size large; shoes, size 7 1/2; 36 x 30 pants) and other items that Clark might need.

Among the many comments posted there is one from Nan DeNinno, with whom Clark is staying.

She wrote: "Everyone is so generous. This gave me an excuse to 'clean out' my extra stuff. We went out to eat tonight [and] did some shopping. Tea pot, warm blanket [and] a belt. So much generosity! I freaking Love our hometown!"

The fire official said Clark was home when the fire started. "He called it in," the officer said, noting that the flames spread fast.

"It was fully involved upon arrival. It's sad. We try to do the best we can to knock the fire down, but when [flames] are coming through the roof when you pull up," there's not much that can be done to save the structure, he said.

In addition to Fort Plain firefighters, St. Johnsville fire personnel were assisted at the scene by St. Johnsville Police and members of GAVAC/SAVAC Ambulance. Also responding were workers from National Grid and Time Warner Cable, who were working near the Church Street residence Thursday afternoon.

St. Johnsville firefighters were called back to the scene early Thursday morning for a re-kindle in a few record albums, it was noted. No injuries were reported.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement
The Recorder Sports Schedule

 

The Recorder Newscast

Most Popular

    2015 almanac predicting a bitter winter
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    State campgrounds were cookin' this season
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    Douglas J. Szyjkowski
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014

    Man sentenced for welfare fraud
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    Patriots charge past GF, 30-7
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    Another toe-to-toe session at City Hall
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014

    Hart breaks school rushing record in Braves' romp
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    County eyeing failed casino property
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    City code violators could lose DSS rent
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

    Bypass sparks heated debate
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Recorder

Contact Us

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook