Advertisement
 
Friday, September 19, 2014
Amsterdam, NY ,
Advertisement

Home demolition set to begin soon

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Updated: 10:18 AM

By NICOLE ANTONUCCI

nicole.antonucci@recordernews.com

TOWN OF FLORIDA -- Demolition of several flood-damaged homes could begin in two weeks.

Members of the town board approved at Monday's board meeting a $27,500 bid to Eric J. Preene Trucking and Excavating of Amsterdam to demolish the property at 775 Youngs Corners Road. It is the first of potentially three properties that will be demolished as part of the state's buyout program.

"These properties are significantly damaged and beyond repair. This was their only option. The condition that they are in, it didn't make sense for them to rebuild," Supervisor Eric Mead said. "The people have suffered enough and I am happy that this project is almost completed."

Mead said the town has closed on two of the properties so far, with the third property still pending as the owner has not yet signed the agreement.

Now that the contractor is awarded for Young Corners Road property, demolition is expected to occur by early August. This is around the same time when town officials expect to seek bids for demolition of the second property at 322 Main St., Fort Hunter.

All the properties were approved to be bought through the state's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which awarded approximately $500,000 to the area.

However, Mead said depending on the appraisals and demolition costs, he doesn't expect to use the entire pool of money.

"I anticipate using approximately $450,000," he said.

Preene Trucking and Excavating was one of two bids that the town received and were opened during the meeting. The second was for $28,900.

"We have to award to the lowest bidder," Mead told the board and took a motion to accept it.

Work includes demolition and disposal of the flood-damaged residence and detached garage, removal of downed trees and debris, removal of the septic tank, and grading and seeding of the property.

Once demolition is complete, the property will remain as open space. Mead said there are no plans to do anything with the site at this time.

These properties are only a few that were heavily damaged due to flooding from several major storms. Some residents received funding to repair or rebuild their properties while others are waiting word on their status.

Mead said the town is trying to acquire a fourth property for demolition through the New York Rising program; final approval is pending.

"I have a contract but not a signed contract," Mead said.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement
The Recorder Sports Schedule

 

The Recorder Newscast

Most Popular

Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Recorder

Contact Us

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook