By NICOLE ANTONUCCI and ALISSA SCOTT
No injuries were reported at a fire that engulfed a detached garage at 14 Kline St. in Amsterdam Friday evening.
Fire Chief Richard Liberti said the investigation is still underway, but the fire may have started after gasoline in a motorcycle caught fire.
The fire, which started at approximately 8:20 p.m., spread to the home, as well as two garages on Eagle Street.
Fransisco Padilla, who lives at the home, said he was working on the motorcycle, and when he tried starting the bike, it sparked.
"It started out as a small fire. I ran down to the basement to grab the hose, and by the time I came up, the fire was up to the roof," Padilla said.
Padilla's family, his wife and their three teenagers, were in the house at the time. One of their daughters, Elizabeth Padilla said she heard her mother screaming "fire," and ran outside to see the whole garage up in flames.
The Amsterdam Fire and Police departments responded to the scene minutes later. GAVAC also responded to the scene, but reported there were no injuries.
Firefighters had the fire under control by 9 p.m. and sprayed down the remaining smoldering structure of the family's garage. Several cars in the backyard were damaged, and the seats of a swing set adjacent to the garage were melted.
According to a firefighter at the scene, the blaze affected three garages, and the back of 14 Kline St.
Residents at 12 Kline St. reported damage to the siding of her home, which began to melt from the heat.
The fire was visible from John Street.
"I saw the smoke and a flickering in the sky," Breanne McClanahan said as she stood watching the action from the across the street.