Advertisement
 
Monday, March 30, 2015
Amsterdam, NY ,

Joshua Thomas/For the Recorder
Flames gutted this two-story wood-frame home of town of Canajoharie resident Melvin Donato early Friday afternoon, leaving the 380 Fredericks St. resident homeless.

Advertisement

Malfunctioning pellet stove blamed for fire that leaves one homeless

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - Updated: 5:49 PM

By LINDA KELLETT/For the Recorder

TOWN OF CANAJOHARIE — One man is homeless after flames ravaged his two-story wood-frame home here on Friday afternoon.

Canajoharie Fire Chief Frank Nestle said Melvin Donato, the owner of the roughly 125-year-old structure at 380 Fredericks St., lost everything.

“It was a total loss,” Nestle said. “Nothing could be saved. There’s a couple of walls standing but the roof is into the first floor at this time.”

Nestle said the homeowner had no insurance.

Fortunately Donato was not home at the time. “He was at work,” said Nestle.

There were no reports of injuries.

Nestle said the cause of the 1:56 p.m. blaze has been attributed to a malfunction in the pellet stove.

“It got a head start on us,” he said, noting that by the time fire crews arrived, the front windows had blown out, and the fire was burning fiercely.

The wind was also blowing a little, which fanned the flames battled by Canajoharie, Rural Grove, Ames, Fort Plain and South Minden firefighters. Firefighters from Ephratah and Charleston Fire Departments were on standby at area stations.

Others responding to the fire scene were Mid-County Ambulance personnel, the Montgomery County Emergency Management Office and the Montgomery County Cause and Origin Team, who investigated, said Nestle.

Firefighters were at the Fredericks Street location until 8:30 or 9 p.m. Friday, primarily trying to address hot spots in areas where the structure had fallen in, he said. They were called back to the scene at around 6:10 a.m. in response to a flare-up.

Nestle said Donato declined Red Cross assistance. He is currently staying with friends.

Members of a local church reportedly want to reach out to the owner to assist him with clothing needs. Additional information about that initiative was not available at press time.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement
The Recorder Sports Schedule

 

The Recorder Newscast

Most Popular

    New York state Senate again backs legalization of mixed martial arts
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Ovechkin, Chimera lead Caps past Rangers
    Monday, March 30, 2015

    Sheriff's office investigating foreclosure company
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Michael T. Bintz
    Thursday, March 26, 2015

    Benefit scheduled Sunday For second time in five years, local family loses home to fire
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015

    Local singer makes it to the next round
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015

    Amsterdam native's wife endorsed for Nevada Senate post
    Saturday, March 28, 2015

    Best friends in life playing best friends in a high school musical
    Thursday, March 26, 2015

    F-FCS athletes Board eyeing tougher rules
    Friday, March 27, 2015

    Man burned by vehicle fire
    Saturday, March 28, 2015

Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media

Privacy Policies: The Recorder

Contact Us

Twitter

Instagram

Facebook