Man who killed his dog in toss from
balcony pleads guilty

NEW YORK (AP) — A man who hurled his dog to its death from a New York City balcony has pleaded guilty to felony animal cruelty.

Yuk Cheung is expecting a sentence of 45 days in jail and five years of probation. He also will have to register on a city animal-abuser list.

Court records show the 35-year-old Cheung entered the plea last week. His lawyer hasn’t returned a phone call placed Monday seeking comment.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown says Cheung threw the 12-year-old pug from a seventh-floor balcony in March while arguing with his ex-girlfriend about the dog. Cheung had left the dog with her.

Prosecutors say Cheung claimed the dog leaped out of his arms but investigators determined it had been thrown.

New York gets tougher on
community center bomb threats

ALBANY (AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has signed into law new penalties for those who make bomb threats against community centers.

The Democratic governor approved the legislation Monday. It was passed by the state Legislature earlier this year in response to a string of bomb threats called into Jewish Community Centers across the country.

Citing those bomb threats and recent violence by white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, Cuomo said it is vital for New York to stand against hate crimes.

“These despicable acts spread fear and terror across entire communities, and by signing this measure, we will give law enforcement more tools to prosecute hatemongers and treat these crimes with the seriousness they deserve,” Cuomo said in a statement announcing the signing of the bill. “The horrific events in Charlottesville this weekend demonstrate that now, more than ever, we must stand united against bias and hate in all of its forms.”

Taxi driver thought to be resting for 18 hours was dead

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City taxi driver who appeared to be resting was actually dead in his parked vehicle for about 18 hours.

The New York Times says 59-year-old Mehari Bokrezion died of cardiovascular disease around lunchtime on Aug. 8. He had pulled over in an area of Manhattan where drivers are allowed to rest for an hour. He wasn’t found until the next morning.

When the driver failed to go home, his worried wife and brother traced his GPS device with help from his garage. At around the same time a passer-by noticed the driver hadn’t moved and called 911.

The SoHo neighborhood where the driver was found bustles with foot traffic, but only one person sought help.

Other taxi drivers came and went without realizing something was wrong.

Ex-NYC cop charged after dead horses found on
upstate farm

GOSHEN  (AP) — A former New York City police officer has been charged with animal cruelty after authorities found a severely malnourished horse and the remains of 11 others on her upstate farm.

The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports  48-year-old Jeanne Ryan was charged last Friday with cruelty to animals and failure to properly dispose of dead animals.

The charges followed a July 29 raid conducted by the Hudson Valley SPCA at Argus Farm in the Orange County town of Goshen, 55 miles (88 kilometers) northwest of New York City.

Officials say the skeleton of a dead mare was found in a stall alongside the carcass of the mare’s 2-month-old foal. The remains of the other horses were found in a barn and in nearby woods.

Police: Teens who roamed unfinished bridge on video

TARRYTOWN (AP) — New York police say three teenagers face criminal charges over a YouTube video that shows them trespassing on a bridge that’s under construction.

State police announced Monday that it made the arrests between Aug. 6 and Aug. 8.

The Journal News says the July 13 video shows the 17- and 18-year-olds walking along train tracks, squeezing through a fence hole and roaming around a span that will replace the Tappan Zee Bridge.

The camera shows some dizzying views of the Hudson River below. One teen says they’ve been spotted and they run away.

The consortium building the bridge, Tappan Zee Constructors, says in a statement that safety and security are its top priorities. The consortium says it gathered evidence and turned the matter over to police, who quickly made arrests.


Information from: The Journal News,