Amsterdam Mayor Ann Thane released the following Public Service Announcement today in light of Hurricane Sandy's possible effects on the region.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
In anticipation of the effects of Hurricane Sandy we recommend that the following actions be taken. In the event of an evacuation or a power outage you should be prepared to sustain your family for at least 72 hrs.
FOOD & WATER
- Bottled water, 1 gallon per person per day, high energy drinks.
- Ready-to-eat foods, vegetables, fruits, canned goods, non-perishable dry goods, high energy foods. Infant formula, specialty foods for elderly or people on special diets.
- Pet food.
HEALTH & HYGIENE
- Prescription medications should be placed in water tight containers.
- Hand sanitizer, pre-moistened hand wipes.
- Toiletries – toothpaste, etc.
- Medical information, a list of family physicians.
- First aid kit with over the counter drugs.
- Extra clothing, sleeping bags, blankets, shoes.
- Extra eye glasses or contact lenses and cleaning solution.
- Identification, important papers.
- Portable radio, cell phones and chargers, laptops, etc.
- Extra batteries
- Writing materials
HOUSEHOLD SUPPLIES & EQUIPMENT
- One gallon chlorine bleach
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Extra fuel for generators
- Extra propane for outdoor grills
- Disposable tableware
- Paper towels
- Plastic bags
- Can opener
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND AT THE FOLLOWING LINKS:
New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services
Montgomery County Emergency Management Office
Montgomery County Emergency Management Office Facebook Page