Artillery boomed in the distance as the 70-member team of Dutch and Australian experts painstakingly combed a patch of scrubland not far from the site of bloody clashes between Ukrainian soldiers and pro-Russian separatist rebels.
The team's top priority: collecting the remains of as many as 80 victims that have been lying out in the open, baking in the midsummer heat, for more than two weeks because investigators were prevented by the fighting from reaching the scene.
Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the Dutch recovery mission, said in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev that the experts were able to gather some of the human remains. He would not give details out of respect for the victims' relatives.
The pace set Friday hinted at the magnitude of the task ahead.
Aalbersberg said a team of 30 experts spent two hours after lunchtime searching an area of just 30 square yards (25 square meters). The overall area to explore covers more than 8 square miles (20 square kilometers).
"If we have maximum capacity, we think we need at least three weeks to do a full search, but that's a very thin prospect," he said.
The objects collected included papers and books belonging to some of the 298 people killed aboard the Boeing 777 that was shot down on July 17 with what the West says was a Russian-made missile fired by the rebels.
In a haphazard effort overseen by the rebels, more than 200 bodies were collected by rescue workers and were turned over to Dutch authorities last week for examination and identification.
Everything discovered Friday was first identified and photographed, then put into bags by recovery workers wearing protective gear. The bags were then placed in the blue buckets.