FONDA — Montgomery County District 2 Legislator Thomas Quackenbush was chosen as the new legislature’s chairman at its organizational meeting today.
“It’s a new beginning, and a new start,” Quackenbush said.
The vote for Quackenbush was split 5-4; the dissenting votes cast by Legislators Roy Dimond (District 3), John Duchessi (District 6), Joseph Isabel (District 8) and Alexander Kuchis (District 9).
They called for a fresh blood in the appointment to go with the new form of government, as Quackenbush, Minden’s former supervisor, served two terms as chairman of the now-defunct Board of Supervisors.
Dimond was the other legislator nominated, but he couldn’t garner enough support.
Other appointments Wednesday:
• District 7 Legislator Barbara Wheeler was unanimously designated as deputy chairwoman.
• Cheryl Reese was appointed board clerk.
The legislature also unanimously confirmed appointments recommended by Executive Matthew Ossenfort:
• Douglas E. Landon as county attorney.
• Brenda Rava as director of the Department of Youth/Alternatives to Incarceration/Veterans Services.
• Kenneth Rose as director of the Department of Economic Opportunity and Development.
• Dale Furman as Fire Service director.
• Outgoing Undersheriff Jeffery T. Smith as director of the Emergency Management Department and STOP-DWI coordinator.
More on today’s organizational meeting, and Ossenfort’s swearing-in ceremony at Supreme Court will appear in Thursday’s print edition, and at www.recordernews.com.